On Monday, a former aide to then-President-elect Donald Trump tweeted that he would resign from his post with the National Security Council after “truly horrific” statements about the president’s daughter and her husband, Anthony Scaramucci.
“If there is anything I could do to help with the pain, I am truly devastated,” said Anthony Scaramelli in a tweet on Monday morning.
“I am truly sorry for what has happened.”
Scaramelli later said that his remarks were “deeply personal and hurtful,” and that he had not meant to hurt anyone.
But the former aide’s resignation is a huge setback for the administration, as Scaramellis job with the council is not yet fully completed.
The president has made no official statements on the matter.
Scaramelli also made comments about Anthony Scaramy in which he said that the president would “have to resign,” and then “face the consequences of what he has done.”
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Business Insider.
The former aide has long been one of the Trump’s closest confidants, having helped orchestrate the transition from the president to the new administration.
Scaramello, who is now a senior adviser to the president, has been a vocal critic of the president.
He has been critical of the administration on numerous issues, and has called the administration’s handling of the aftermath of the Charlottesville protests “totally unprecedented.”
Scaramilli was previously named the president of the National Association of Manufacturers in 2018, and served as chief economic adviser to President Donald Trump.
Scarami also once served as the CEO of an investment firm called Renaissance Technologies, which is now part of Renaissance Capital.